Prayer Chaplains are a dedicated group of congregants committed to holding the high watch for our community. To qualify to serve as Prayer Chaplains, they must have completed prayer chaplain training and attended an annual weekend retreat where they review how to pray and support those in need of prayer. After completing the weekend retreat, they commit themselves to serving their spiritual community for one year by being available to provide prayer support on Sunday mornings and through phone or e-mail support.
What is a Prayer Chaplain?
- A prayer chaplain is someone who can pray with you. Jesus said, “Whenever two or more are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” When two people come together in prayer, a third presence is there, that is, the presence of the Holy Spirit, or the active principle of God. This is where the consciousness of possibility exists.
- A prayer chaplain is someone who can create and hold sacred space with you. To hold sacred space means to embrace a consciousness of possibility. God is great than any outward situation or condition we may experience. A prayer chaplain helps one to open this space through prayer.
- A prayer chaplain is someone who can listen to you and hold what is heard in confidence. Rest assured that whatever is said to a prayer chaplain, stays with a prayer chaplain.
“Practice the Presence of God as you would practice music.” – Emile Cady
How do Prayer Chaplains serve?
Prayer chaplains are available to pray with you. You can meet with the prayer chaplains for individual prayer following the Sunday services in the sanctuary or you can fill out a prayer request for and allow yourself or another to be blessed with prayer and loving kindness.
Prayer chaplains make hospital visits. If you are in the hospital or know you are going to be hospitalized, please contact the church office and a prayer chaplain or minister will be happy to offer prayer support through a call or visit.
Prayer chaplains make prayer calls. All members have the option of having a personal prayer chaplain. Your prayer chaplain will phone you once a month to offer prayer support. Of course, if you need prayer at other times, you may contact the church office and a prayer chaplain will contact you.
How to Contact a Chaplain
There are several ways to request prayer support from our prayer chaplains:
- You can call us at 772-562-1133. A minister or prayer chaplain will return your call.
- Fill out a prayer request form at the church and place it in the prayer box or drop it in the offering basket.
- If you prefer, you can send an online prayer request to our prayer chaplains.
- For face-to-face support, meet a prayer chaplain on duty after any Sunday service.